Friday 11 January 2019

Back To My Roots; 'Thanks for teaching me and expecting me to fix things'

I've been thinking a lot about why I like to draw tools and machinery. People around me support my love for mechanics and techniques of making but often are amused by it. My father (ex pattern maker)  continues to have lengthy phone calls with me about tools and makers techniques in the same way he taught me when I was young. I've always been influenced by these things but its nice to remember that my grandfather (unintentionally) formalised my appreciation of the human elements to these objects we take for the everyday. His passing spurred on a labour of love that continues today in my work. 

and thanks dad for consistently teaching me and expecting me to fix things.

Here's a photo of my Grandad (left) on a battleship in world war two training and working as an engineer. I am the first generation in over 100 years not to be in metal work from blacksmiths to farriers to pattern makers and engineers. We still miss you but I think you'd like how my illustration practice turned out.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

My blog has moved homes

After several years here on blogger I have made the difficult decision to move blogs! Come and and celebrate my new blog home and find out t...